Greenwood replacement: Marseille react to SHOCK Neymar links

Greenwood replacement: Marseille react to SHOCK Neymar links

Tom Weber

  • Updated: 29 Jul 2025 16:51 BST
  • 4 min read

Mason Greenwood, Marseille, 2024/25
© IMAGO

Marseille have been linked with a surprising move for Neymar amid uncertainty over the future of Mason Greenwood.

Article continues under the video

Earlier on Tuesday, shock reports emerged claiming that the Ligue 1 giants were in talks with the Brazilian megastar over an unexpected and controversial return to France.

Neymar previously suited up for Marseille’s bitter rivals PSG and still holds the record of being the world’s most expensive player ever for his €222 million move to the French capital in 2017.

The 33-year-old returned to boyhood club Santos in January following a disastrous sojourn to Saudi Arabia, but speculation surrounding his future is rampant again.

Neymar initially signed a six-month deal with a view to returning to Europe this summer, but he recently – perhaps due to a lack of concrete offers – extended his stay until the end of the Brazilian season in the winter.

Greenwood to leave Marseille?

It is now being claimed that Neymar could leave Santos prematurely as his relationship with the side is said to be souring, but a move to Marseille is not on the cards. A club source has told Le Parisien that the links with the veteran are ‘complete nonsense.’

Instead, Marseille are about to complete the signing of Feyenoord winger Igor Paixao, having managed to beat Premier League side Leeds to his signature. The Ligue 1 giants are keen to bolster their attack after losing Luis Henrique to Inter.

Mason Greenwood
© IMAGO – Mason Greenwood

Meanwhile, there is also uncertainty surrounding the future of Mason Greenwood. L’Equipe reports that several Saudi clubs have started to circle for the former Man Utd prospect.

Marseille are reluctant to sell, but they could cave if a noteworthy offer were to arrive. There is no clear price tag at this stage, but given that Man Utd would pocket a hefty 50 per cent of his fee, it would require significantly more than the €30 million paid for him last year.

Football transfer news headlines today

DONE DEALS: Every official completed transfer around Europe today

Transfer News LIVE – Every rumour, every done deal: How are Liverpool paying for Isak? Sancho DESPERATION

‘Done deal and confirmed’ – Chelsea complete €50m signing

Arsenal to raise €87m for Eze by selling five reserves

The FootballTransfers app

Check out FootballTransfers’ new app for all of football’s big storylines, transfer rumours and exclusive news in one convenient place directly on your mobile device.

The FootballTransfers app is available on Google Play and in the Apple App Store. Download here:

Google Play

App Store


Source From: Football Transfer News Archive including Premier League & La Liga

Source link

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
This website has updated its privacy policy in compliance with changes to European Union data protection law, for all members globally. We’ve also updated our Privacy Policy to give you more information about your rights and responsibilities with respect to your privacy and personal information. Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our updated privacy policy.
Blogarama - Blog Directory