Giovanni Leoni suffered a serious injury on his Liverpool debut against Southampton, and he’s set to be ruled out for a while, prompting Arne Slot to consider his options at centre-back
Arne Slot has already named two players whom he might call upon to strengthen his backline. Giovanni Leoni suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury during Liverpool’s 2-0 win over Southampton in the Carabao Cup third round on Tuesday night.
The 18-year-old defender was enjoying a promising debut at Anfield before he was stretchered off the pitch. Speaking to reporters after the game, Slot outlined that Leoni would undergo further medical evaluation – and he didn’t sound too optimistic.
Following scans on Wednesday, it’s now been confirmed that Leoni has sustained a serious knee injury. According to the ECHO, Liverpool are currently not setting a timeline for the Italian’s return, but it’s believed that the club’s medical team are concerned about a significant issue for the young Italian player.
READ MORE: Hugo Ekitike showed true colours with promise to rival boss despite Liverpool red cardREAD MORE: Thierry Henry explaining why he gets tired watching Liverpool sums up ‘boring’ remark
An extended absence would leave the Reds with just three senior centre-backs. However, Joe Gomez and Ibrahima Konate have had their own injury issues in the past, and they continue to face somewhat uncertain futures at Anfield.
The former attracted attention from AC Milan and Brighton and Hove Albion during the summer transfer window, while the latter has recently entered the final year of his contract. Slot could be inclined to give Rhys Williams, Amara Nallo or Luke Chambers a chance to impress, having each previously played for the first team.
Williams remained on the bench during the Reds’ clash with Southampton on Tuesday evening, but the 24-year-old, who was loaned out to Morecambe last term, hasn’t appeared in the senior squad since 2021.
Nallo was dismissed on his Liverpool debut against PSV Eindhoven last January, while Chambers is yet to make an appearance at any level this season after an injury-hit loan spell at Wigan Athletic was cut short last campaign.
Slot could prefer to deploy a more experienced player in Leoni’s absence, with Andy Robertson finishing the Carabao Cup tie against Southampton at the back. The Scotland international operated at centre-half against PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League last term.
That said, Slot has already highlighted two alternative options. When discussing Liverpool’s failed pursuit of Crystal Palace skipper Marc Guehi on deadline day, the Dutchman named two midfielders who could feature at the back.
“Ryan (Gravenberch) and Wata (Endo) can play there,” said Slot earlier this month. “So it is not like all of a sudden we don’t have options in that position anymore.”
Gravenberch has never started a game at centre-back, but he is who Slot turned to when Liverpool failed to sign a new holding midfielder last year. Meanwhile, Endo actually started his career as a centre-back in Japan, and he’s appeared there on a few occasions for Liverpool.
Speaking over the summer, while mulling over his restricted playing time during the previous campaign, the 32-year-old hinted he could be deployed as a centre-half option in the future. During the Reds’ pre-season tour of the Far East, Endo said: “I don’t mind where I play.
“I just give 100%, even if I play number six or centre-back or right-back. That’s my style. I played as a centre-back when I played in Japan, so I don’t mind which position I play, and I just give 100% every time.”
Meanwhile, speaking during a live question and answer event in his hometown of Kanagawa, as quoted by Soccer Digest, he said: “I think there’s a high possibility that I’ll play in various positions in the future, so I think it’ll be fine if we can carry that over to the next stage.”
With Leoni poised to be sidelined for several months, Liverpool may reconsider their pursuit of Guehi come January. Nevertheless, such a transfer had previously been deemed improbable given that the player will become available for free at the end of the season.
As it stands, it remains to be seen whether such a stance will now be challenged by the Reds’ latest injury blow.
Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle ahead of the 2025/26 season, saving members £192 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.
Sky will show at least 215 live Premier League games next season, an increase of up to 100 more.
Source From: Mirror – Champions League
Source link
- Empowering Entrepreneurs with WindigiMarketing: A Guide to Online Success
- Navigating Affiliate Marketing Success with WindigiMarketing.com
- Sonic Review – The World #1 App Allows You To Launch Your Own AI Streaming Platform Preloaded With Over 100 Million Artists, Playlists, Podcasts, Genres, Audiobooks & Radio Channel And Tap Into 600 Million Paid Members!
- Voixr Review – The #1 Emotional-Based-Human-Like Voice Cloning AI Powered App Cloning and Speaking In 1,800+ Voices With 144 Native Languages Instantly Without Recording or Any Tech Skills!
- SiteRobot AI Review – The #1 AI-Powered App Let Us Build Complete Websites + Contents Instantly By Using Just Your Keyword!
Recent Comments