Angry Nico Williams opens door to Arsenal and Chelsea after Barcelona message

Angry Nico Williams opens door to Arsenal and Chelsea after Barcelona message

Nico Williams, Spain, Euro 2024
© IMAGO

Nico Williams’ is unimpressed by the words of Barcelona president Joan Laporta in a move that might just have blown the transfer saga of the Spain Euro 2024 star open once again.

Laporta indicated earlier this week that Barca have the funds available to sign the Athletic Club winger, who will celebrate his 22nd birthday on Friday, and that he is open to doing so.

Article continues under the video

This was bombshell news. Nico Williams, after all, has been one of the most eye-catching players at Euro 2024 and has been hotly pursued by both Arsenal and Chelsea in the Premier League.

READ MORE: Nico Williams transfer close: Everything done between player and club

His preference, however, has been to remain in Spain, with Barcelona the only club capable of drawing him into such a move.

But the attacker has been less than impressed by the manner in which Laporta and Barca have approached the transfer saga, according to one report.

Defensa Central states that the player gave a “strong” reaction to Laporta’s message.

“I don’t like people talking about this now when I’m focused on winning the Euros,” are the words the report indicates came from the mouth of Nico Williams’ entourage.

READ MORE: Chelsea’s answer to Lamine Yamal? Blues target RAPID deal for Euro 2024 star

Lamine Yamal and Nico Williams at Euro 2024
© IMAGO – Lamine Yamal and Nico Williams at Euro 2024

What did Laporta say?

Speaking of potentially signing Nico Williams, Laporta told Catalunya Radio: “Obviously I like him, a lot. But here we have to let those who have the responsibility work, and Deco is working to make the signings that he and Flick have discussed, and I hope to have good news,” he said.

“Today we can afford to sign Nico Williams. We can afford a signing like Nico’s. It is the result of the work that has been done over the years to get to this point, we could afford a signing of this level.

“It has been three very intense years, with many things to do, but we have worked very well and we are happy with the work because the club’s finances are recovering and we will soon have good news in this regard.

“We are working to confirm the club’s economic recovery and there are a series of operations that we have worked on and that we will soon be able to announce. It is very comforting to be able to finish this process that has taken us three years and I hope that we return to normality.”

Barcelona remain in the driving seat for the Basque, yet there are still sufficient obstacles to overcome to suggest that both Arsenal and Chelsea will have a part to play in this transfer saga.

While Laporta’s words are unlikely to put Nico Williams off signing for the club entirely, the Catalans’ financial issues mean raising the €58 million to trigger his release fee is complicated, particularly in the context of the player’s wages being worth more than €10m per year.

CaughtOffside claims that Arsenal will open talks with the winger, while Barcelona need to sell both Ansu Fati and Raphinha, who has said he does not want to leave, to raise the required funds to complete a deal.


Source From: Football Transfer News Archive including Premier League & La Liga

Source link

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts
This website has updated its privacy policy in compliance with changes to European Union data protection law, for all members globally. We’ve also updated our Privacy Policy to give you more information about your rights and responsibilities with respect to your privacy and personal information. Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our updated privacy policy.
Blogarama - Blog Directory