Manchester United spent over €200 million on signings ahead of the 2023-24 season, meaning some players had to be let go to balance the books.
The Red Devils have struggled to sell players for good value in recent seasons and it was no different in the latest transfer window.
All four of the senior players that left the club would have commanded much larger fees at different times – a testament to how poorly the club is run.
FootballTransfers investigates how each of them has fared since leaving Old Trafford.
Dean Henderson – €17.5m to Crystal Palace
Having spent the 2019-20 season on loan at Sheffield United, helping them to a remarkable top half finish in the Premier League, Henderson was worth at least double the €17.5m he was sold for in the summer.
However, by keeping him on the sidelines at Old Trafford, Henderson’s reputation diminished to the point where he is no longer recognised as a Premier League standard goalkeeper.
After eventually being let go by United, he has played just 19 minutes of football for Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace side.
Anthony Elanga – €17.5m to Nottingham Forest
Anthony Elanga produced moments of magic in a United shirt but they were few and far between.
He was sold to Nottingham Forest in the summer, for the same price as Henderson, and his consistency levels have somewhat improved.
Two goals and three assists in 13 appearances in all competitions is a step in the right direction for the 21-year-old.
Fred – €10m to Galatasaray
Fred was a solid performer for Man Utd over the years but, ultimately, he never quite lived up to expectations.
The 30-year-old recently departed the club for Fenerbahce, who came runners-up to Galatasaray in the Turkish Super Lig last season.
And, Fred’s new side are at the top of the table 12 games into the new campaign, with the Brazilian midfielder starting nine of them.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) November 16, 2023
Alex Telles – €5m to Al-Nassr
Alex Telles was one of many players to leave Europe for Saudi Arabia in the summer.
He joined up with United legend Cristiano Ronaldo at Al-Nassr, with both players scoring in their latest 3-1 victory over Al-Wehda.
From Erik ten Hag’s point of view, letting go of Telles has turned out to be a mistake, given Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia’s injury troubles this season.
Source From: Football Transfer News Archive including Premier League & La Liga
- GPT Studio Review – The World #1 Real Open AI Connected WordPress Software That Auto Creates Set & Forget Websites!
- ScriptioAI Review – The First To Market and ONLY Tool To Combine The Power Of Google Bard, Microsoft, & ChatGPT To Create Digital Marketing Assets With Ease!
- Zeus Review – The Brand New Set & Forget AI-Powered App Turning TikTok Into A $483/Day Viral Traffic Machine!
- Ink Buddy AI Review – The First To Market AI-Powered App Creates Fully Customized Ebooks, Flipbooks & Other Info Products From A Single Keyword Without Writing A Single Word Or Doing Anything Yourself!
- ResponseKraft Review – The World’s First A.I. App Exploiting Thread, Twitter and Quora And Hijack 2,567 Clicks Daily For 100% Free!