Lionel Messi has hit out at Uruguay’s players after they defeated Argentina 2-0 in World Cup qualifying, claiming that they need to learn “respect”.
The game, however, was noted for the fiery manner in which it was played. Uruguay midfielder Manuel Ugarte, who plays his club football with PSG, is alleged to have called Rodrigo De Paul a “Messi c*** sucker’ during an angry exchange.
PSG’s Manuel Ugarte is alleged to have called Rodrigo De Paul a ‘Messi **** sucker’ during Uruguay’s win over Argentina.pic.twitter.com/obAZRJyrKK
— Robin Bairner (@RBairner) November 17, 2023
After an encounter in which seven players made their way into the referee’s notebook, Messi gave his thoughts on the behaviour of Uruguay.
“I’d rather not say what I’m thinking but the younger people need to learn. They have a good group but they need to learn from the veterans how to respect. These games are always intense but very respectful, so they have to learn a little,” the angry Argentina captain, who now turns out for Inter Miami, told Telemundo in the immediate aftermath of the defeat.
Will Argentina qualify for the World Cup?
It is the first blemish on Argentina’s record in qualifying, with their four previous victories carrying them to the top of the CONMEBOL qualifying group. Uruguay have moved into second in the standings, with Colombia and Venezuela third and fourth respectively.
Brazil’s difficult start to the qualifying campaign continued as they were defeated 2-1 away to Colombia, with Luis Diaz scoring twice in the closing 15 minutes of the match to turnaround a 1-0 deficit. His father, recently released by kidnappers, was pictured celebrating ecstatically in the stands.
Although Brazil are fifth, the top six automatically reach the 2026 World Cup, with the seventh-placed side going into a playoff to reach the competition, which will be held across North America.
Source From: Football Transfer News Archive including Premier League & La Liga
- GPT Studio Review – The World #1 Real Open AI Connected WordPress Software That Auto Creates Set & Forget Websites!
- ScriptioAI Review – The First To Market and ONLY Tool To Combine The Power Of Google Bard, Microsoft, & ChatGPT To Create Digital Marketing Assets With Ease!
- Zeus Review – The Brand New Set & Forget AI-Powered App Turning TikTok Into A $483/Day Viral Traffic Machine!
- Ink Buddy AI Review – The First To Market AI-Powered App Creates Fully Customized Ebooks, Flipbooks & Other Info Products From A Single Keyword Without Writing A Single Word Or Doing Anything Yourself!
- ResponseKraft Review – The World’s First A.I. App Exploiting Thread, Twitter and Quora And Hijack 2,567 Clicks Daily For 100% Free!