Nagelsmann addresses subject of Dortmund exclusions from national team

Nagelsmann addresses subject of Dortmund exclusions from national team

By Peter Weis   @PeterVicey

Bundestrainer Julian Nagelsmann – among many other things – revealed that he was forced to have a difficult conversation with BVB head-coach Edin Terzic and Dortmund sporting director Sebastian Kehl earlier this week. 

Julian Nagelsmann JazzyJoeyD CC-BY-SA 4.0

The latest incarnation of the German Nationalmannschaft is notable not only for the players it includes, but for those that have been excluded. Striker Niclas Füllkrug happens to be the lone player representing German football’s perennial also-rans Borussia Dortmund. Three Dortmund players from Bundestrainer Julian Nagelsmann’s November squad – Niklas Süle, Mats Hummels, and Julian Brandt – have been left out.


Dortmund players that have still not received a call-up in Nagelsmann’s coaching regime include struggling BVB captain Emré Can, center back Nico Schlotterbeck, and potential veteran leader Marco Reus. In his public comments on this matter, Nagelsmann has only specifically discussed the decision to leave Hummels behind. Nagelsmann noted that the 35-year-old “simply isn’t in rhythm at the moment”.

At his Thursday presser, the Bundestrainer did reveal that he spoke directly with Dortmund trainer Edin Terzic and BVB sporting director Sebastian Kehl on the phone earlier in the week. Nagelsmann noted that he told the duo that he didn’t have much of a need in central defense. Hence, the exclusion of Süle and Schlotterbeck in addition to Hummels.

“I spoke to Edin Terzic and Sebastian Kehl on the phone,” Nagelsmann said, “Neither one of them told me that what I’m doing is disastrous. But I can also imagine that they’re not happy.  At the moment, others have the better momentum, which is why we have decided in their favor. We don’t make decisions based on club affiliation.”

“Everyone knows what it takes to get back,” Nagelsmann added whilst speaking on the potential for a return of players such as Brandt, “If they do that, the door is not closed. One or two Dortmund players would fit the profile. I’m just the executive body. In the end, the players have to provide the answers.”




Source From: Bulinews.com

Source link

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
This website has updated its privacy policy in compliance with changes to European Union data protection law, for all members globally. We’ve also updated our Privacy Policy to give you more information about your rights and responsibilities with respect to your privacy and personal information. Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our updated privacy policy.
Blogarama - Blog Directory