Spurs star axed from UCL squad despite Thomas Frank admitting he would’ve played

Spurs star axed from UCL squad despite Thomas Frank admitting he would’ve played

Tottenham Hotspur boss Thomas Frank wanted to add fit-again Dominic Solanke to his squad for the Champions League – and that meant Mathys Tel had to be sacrificed

Thomas Frank speaks to the media during a Tottenham Hotspur Press Conference on Monday(Image: 2026 Getty Images)

Mathys Tel has been axed from Tottenham’s Champions League squad for a SECOND time. The £30m summer signing has been told he will not be included for Tottenham’s showdown with Borussia Dortmund in favour of Dominic Solanke.

It is a hammer blow for the France under-21 international who was left out of their Champions League squad at the start of the campaign but got a reprieve and played against Slavia Prague last month. But that lasted for just one game because he has been dropped again because Solanke is fit again and it must throw a huge question mark over Tel’s future at the club.

It also comes amid a massive injury crisis at Tottenham which leaves them missing THIRTEEN players for their showdown with Dortmund which is crucial for their chances of qualifying for the knock-out stages.

READ MORE: Thomas Frank sends new message to Tottenham fans as he fights to save his jobREAD MORE: Thomas Frank reveals talks at Tottenham ‘last supper’ and hint on sack decision

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! Latest news, analysis and much more on Mirror Football’s Facebook page

Tottenham boss Thomas Frank said: “Yeah, I made the decision. It was not a nice decision to have to make. Unfortunately that’s football, you have to make a decision. With the way the rules are, the only option was it was either Dom or Mathys in the squad.

I chose Dom because… I think Mathys has done very well in the last couple of games and that’s the crazy thing, if I could pick from all the players that are fit, then he would start tomorrow. But I can only pick between the two of them and now he is out of the squad. That’s of course a tough one to take for Mathys.”

Tottenham’s missing list includes Micky van de Ven who is suspended while Conor Gallagher is ineligible and Ben Davies has undergone ankle surgery.

Joao Palhinha is the latest injury casualty while Pape Matar Sarr, Yves Bissouma, Radu Dragusin, Dejan Kulusevski, James Maddison, Mohammed Kudus, Rodrigo Bentancur and Richarlison are all out.

Even Xavi Simons has been a doubt with an ankle injury but is set to play with Frank insisting he only has 11 fully fit players to choose from.

Frank said: “It never rains but it pours. Even the best coach in the world, you are nothing without your players, your best players and it’s fair to say they haven’t been available enough the whole season which makes it a little bit more tricky.”

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more

£49

£35

Sky

Get the deal here

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle ahead of the 2025/26 season, saving members £336 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.

Sky will show at least 215 live Premier League games next season, an increase of up to 100 more.


Source From: Mirror – Champions League

Source link
Exit mobile version