Top Arsenal target SNUBS Barcelona: Keen on Gunners after 2024 heartbreak

Top Arsenal target SNUBS Barcelona: Keen on Gunners after 2024 heartbreak

Tom Weber

  • Updated: 26 May 2025 15:13 BST
  • 4 min read

Mikel Arteta, Arsenal
© IMAGO

Espanyol goalkeeper Joan Garcia has rejected city rivals Barcelona in favour of a move to the Premier League, according to a report.

Article continues under the video

The Spaniard is once again a sought-after commodity in the market. Already last summer, Garcia was being chased by several clubs, chief among them Arsenal.

At the time, the Gunners were not willing to pay his €25 million release clause and made a lower offer, which Espanyol rejected. According to the club’s sporting director Fran Garagarza, he had no choice but to rebuff the approach as it came too late in the window. Garcia was devastated.

“It was with La Liga just underway and three days away from the deadline,” Garagarza told Cadena SER. “The look on his face during that conversation almost made me feel sorry for him; I saw him as if he were my son. He was told the time would come, and it will.”

Indeed, the time for his big move appears to be now, with a host of clubs vying for his signature, including Arsenal and Espanyol’s local rivals Barcelona.

Garcia rejects Barcelona

Earlier on Monday, Fabrizio Romano confirmed reports from Spain that Barcelona had made contact with the 24-year-old shot-stopper to outline their project and their plans for him.

Barcelona, it was claimed, were willing to trigger his release clause and then initially loan him out. However, Romano made sure to emphasise that the player would have the final say and that it was not set in stone that he would be willing to cross the city divide.

Joan Garcia
© IMAGO – Joan Garcia

According to Romano’s colleague Matteo Moretto, Garcia has now informed Barcelona that he will not join them. Instead, he wants to move to the Premier League in what is undoubtedly a big boost to Arsenal, who are once again interested in the goalkeeper.

However, Aston Villa and Bayer Leverkusen are also thought to hold a concrete interest in Garcia. The former are bracing for the exit of Emiliano Martinez, while the latter want a long-term successor for veteran star Lukas Hradecky.

Football transfer news headlines today

EXCLUSIVE: Man Utd target second Wolves star after Matheus Cunha deal

Viktor Gyokeres Transfer News Today: Arsenal message delivered as Man Utd truth revealed

Victor Osimhen in ‘ADVANCED TALKS’ for big-money move: Nigeria striker lands €50m contract

CONFIRMED: Cunha agrees Man Utd move and is handed ICONIC shirt number

The FootballTransfers app

Check out FootballTransfers’ new app for all of football’s big storylines, transfer rumours and exclusive news in one convenient place directly on your mobile device.

The FootballTransfers app is available on Google Play and in the Apple App Store. Download here:

Google Play

App Store


Source From: Football Transfer News Archive including Premier League & La Liga

Source link

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
This website has updated its privacy policy in compliance with changes to European Union data protection law, for all members globally. We’ve also updated our Privacy Policy to give you more information about your rights and responsibilities with respect to your privacy and personal information. Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our updated privacy policy.
Blogarama - Blog Directory