- Harry Maguire’s place in the England squad has been under increasing scrutiny
- Harry Kane could face him in the Champions League on Wednesday in Munich
- Listen to the latest episode of Mail Sport’s podcast ‘It’s All Kicking Off!’
Despite a lack of game time, Maguire has been a central figure in each of England’s last three international tournament squads, in which he has reached a final (Euro 2020), semi-final (2018 World Cup), and quarter-final (2022 World Cup).
As such, with the England skipper in front of the media ahead of Bayern Munich‘s clash with Man United in the Champions League, Kane was asked about the treatment of his international team-mate and ‘friend’ Maguire.
England captain Harry Maguire offered his support to team-mate Harry Maguire on Tuesday
The Manchester United defender’s place in the England set up has come under intense scrutiny
The former United captain has been bereft of game time at Old Trafford since being stripped of the armband
Your browser does not support iframes.
‘I think H has come under some really unnecessary scrutiny, probably been scapegoated a little bit in terms of the way the team has gone over recent time,’ the England captain said.
‘He’s a really good friend of mine.
‘From an England point of view, being one of our best defenders over the history of our country in an England shirt… it’s part of football, but knowing him all he’ll want to do is try and improve.
‘We’re fully behind him as a national team.’
Kane will potentially face off against the embattled Maguire on Wednesday, when the Red Devils travel to Bavaria for the Champions League Group Stage clash.
Kane was himself close to joining Man United this summer, before his staggering £100million move to the Bundesliga giants.
Mail Sport’s Manchester United Confidential revealed that the player was prepared to join the Red Devils next summer at the end of his Tottenham contract, had he received assurances over the Premier League side’s interest.
With his deal in north London set to expire in the summer of 2024, a move came this summer with Spurs ultimately understanding that losing such a player for free would be worse in the long term than parting with him earlier than needed.
Kane’s Bayern Munich take on United in a replay of the fabled 1999 Champions League final which the Premier League side won
Maguire has managed just 23 minutes of action so far this season, coming off the bench against Arsenal in a 3-1 defeat
Maguire, too, was close to a move over the summer, with West Ham agreeing a £30m fee for the defender with Man United, only for a deal to fall through after the player decided he wished to stay at Old Trafford.
His decision though could come back to haunt him as England prepare for the European Championship next summer in 2024, as he has only played 23 minutes of Premier League football, coming off the bench in the 3-1 loss to Arsenal.
His manager Erik ten Hag was one of many to leap to his defence following the blunder at Hampden Park, insisting that the criticism has been ‘crazy’ and ‘unjustified’.
And the Dutchman was joined by former boss Brendan Rodgers, England manager Gareth Southgate, team-mate James Maddison, and even his own mother, who waded in to call those sending him abuse ‘disgraceful’.
Source From: FIFA World Cup – Qatar 2022: Latest News and Updates | Mail Online
- Traffic GPT Review – The Brand New Revolutionary Software Generating 100% Free Traffic and Blasting More Profits!
- LearnX Review – The #1 To Market AI System Creates Self-Managed Academy Sites, And Prefill It With Tons of Unique AI-Generated Courses
- GPT Studio Review – The World #1 Real Open AI Connected WordPress Software That Auto Creates Set & Forget Websites!
- ScriptioAI Review – The First To Market and ONLY Tool To Combine The Power Of Google Bard, Microsoft, & ChatGPT To Create Digital Marketing Assets With Ease!
- Zeus Review – The Brand New Set & Forget AI-Powered App Turning TikTok Into A $483/Day Viral Traffic Machine!